Fear, Irreverence & Jesus Junk  

Posted by Shawn in , ,



e have become too familiar with God. I mean this in the sense that we as a nation and as a people no longer fear Him, as we ought to. From Christian tool sets sanctified with etched Bible verses on them, to fish-shaped breath mints, we have merchandised and trivialized His "image" to the point of nausea. We dare plaster His holy Name or a symbol associated with the Lord of lords on some piece of worthless junk and ignorantly think that we have not kindled His anger toward us? Do we honestly think He is pleased by such irreverence and idolatry...

Jeremiah 5:22
"Do you not fear Me?" declares the LORD, "Do you not tremble in My presence?"

Verse after verse, passage after passage, book after book written by the Prophets of old, warning the nation of Israel of the infinitely real dangers of treating the Lord our God with anything but fear and trembling, which Check Spellingwe too in the Church age have recorded for our instruction so that we are also without excuse. Our lack of fear goes beyond the limitless amount of Jesus junk being peddled across our land, to the very words we speak about God in which we humanize Him, making the same mistake as those who think that the Most High can look favorably on sin like one of us. The earth is but a footstool to Him, yet we treat Him with such contempt.

Not only do we show a lack of respect toward God, but also we degrade those great men of faith He has chosen to raise up. This lack of respect shown to God's people is preached from pulpits by men who find humor in the sin of Noah's drunkenness, or laugh at the symbol of sin given by God to Ezekiel. Our land revels and parties in common costumes mocking the Patriarchs, in which the original sin...the fall of man is laughed at and scorned. Christian comedians...is there really such a thing in God's eyes?

O' yes, I take myself far too seriously, I should lighten up. After all, Jeremiah was referred to as the laughing Proph...oh wait no, it was the lamenting Prophet. Well then...Jesus, He was a man of joy...no wait, He was a man of sorrows. I do admit that Proverbs says that there is a time to laugh...but is that time now? Is that time in this day and age? A day in which God Himself in all His holiness is treated as nothing more than a cheap marketing ploy. As I have said over and over, and I will say it again, turn back to the Word of God.

Stop giving your money to those who speak lies in the name of Christ. Turn away from those who teach His Word falsely. The Church is not ours to run as we see fit, but it is Christ's, He is the Head, He is the chief Shepherd, and He has clearly and specifically laid out in His Word the orderly way it should be run. We have become adulteresses, forsaking God, the fountain of living waters, to hew for ourselves broken cisterns that hold no water. We as a people do not have the dread of the Lord God of hosts within us but have pursued the Baals. Exchanging the blessed Trinity for an idol consisting of a black woman, an Asian woman, along with a large nosed Middle Eastern man (A Shack reference for all you out there scratching your heads). This is not a time to laugh or a time to party. This is a time for serious men to man up and preach a serious message to a people who are lost and stampeding down the broad road of destruction. Warn them fervently as Paul did the Ephesians with many tears. Turn them back from their wicked ways and lament the fact that we have stood by and said nothing as it has gotten as bad as it is.

Jeremiah 5:29-31
"Shall I not punish these people?" declares the LORD, "On a nation such as this shall I not avenge Myself? An appalling and horrible thing Has happened in the land: The prophets prophesy falsely, And the priests rule on their own authority; And My people love it so! But what will you do at the end of it?"

This entry was posted on Dec 2, 2008 at Tuesday, December 02, 2008 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

7 comments

oh...I guess you don't want the Jesus band-aide I bought you for Christmas? lol :)

December 3, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Do you think that sandals that leave the words “FOLLOW” “JESUS” impressed in the white sand of a tropical isle is over the top?

December 4, 2008 at 12:20 AM

As I was reading this post last night, I saw a commericial for a crystal cross necklace. When you look through the center of it, you can see the Lord's prayer. Who needs your Bible when you can just read your jewelry!

Sara, does that band-aide have Job 5:18 on it?

And John, who am I to argue with a divine message imprinted by a tourist's shoe?

December 4, 2008 at 10:53 AM

I think Job 5:18 would be more of a gauze wrap than a band-aide but that would fit the topic too, wouldn't it. lol

I cant imagine a necklace with the lord prayer on it. Seems like it might be a rather large one, huh? of course, they can write your name on a grain of rice so....

December 4, 2008 at 7:16 PM

You look through the center crystal like a kaleidoscope. I am pretty sure we are talking about grain o' rice technology here. Either that, or it's MAGIC! Shuh-sha!

December 4, 2008 at 9:34 PM

hey guys... you know that cross necklace with the Lord's prayer in the center... yeah, I had one as a kid... a gift from one of my aunties. I actually thought it was pretty cool. :) Would this fall under Deut. 6:5-9 and 11:18-20?

December 5, 2008 at 11:39 AM

Good point Marian. I think I will get myself one of those necklaces after all... If I make it into an eye patch, I'll be reading scripture all day! Now that you mention those passages in Deut, I am amazed that I haven't seen scripture covered sweatbands. I have, however, seen a card that you are supposed to keep in the top of your hat. How is that for taking scripture litterally?

December 5, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Post a Comment